“Youth Violence, Communities and Faith”
Senator Don Meredith
January 26th, 2015 – 11:45am – 1:30pm
481 University ave, suite 711, Toronto, ON M5G 2E9
11:45am – Registration | 12:00pm – Lunch | 12:30pm – Speech & Q&A | 1:30pm – Closing
Senator Don Meredith is co-founder and executive director of the GTA Faith Alliance, an interfaith group that is committed to finding solutions to youth violence. An active community and anti-crime advocate, Senator Meredith has been tireless in his work to counter gun and youth crime. He has partnered with churches, police, politicians and communities to organize or participate in rallies and community events that work to find solutions to senseless violence.
Senator Meredith has been an entrepreneur and businessman for over 21 years. He completed several years of business and information technology studies at Ryerson University prior to forming Donscape Landcaping through which he supports his family and pastoral activities. An ordained evangelical minister, he is volunteer pastor of Pentecostal Praise Centre Ministries in Maple, Ontario. He holds a masters degree from California State Christian University.
His prior community involvements include serving as co-chair of the Black Community Police Consultative Committee, and as a member of the York Region Police Chief’s Advisory Council, the York Regional Community Police Liaison, the Toronto Police Service Chief’s Advisory Service, the RCMP Consultative Committee, and the B’Nai Brith Canada Special Advisory Council to the League for Human Rights. Due to his work in the community, Senator Meredith was appointed to the Senate of Canada on December 18, 2010 by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper.
He is married to Michelle, a special education teacher in York Region. They have two young adult children.
- Nelson Mandela Humanitarian Award (Planet Africa Awards, 2012)
- Chevalier Miles (Les Chevaliers de France, Commanderie générale d’Avignon, 2012)
- BBPA Harry Jerome Youth Advocacy Award (BBPA Harry Jerome Awards, 2012)
- Markham Community Service Award (City of Markham, 2011)
- Excellence in Religion citation (African Canadian Achievement Awards of Excellence, 2011)
- Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree (Canadian Christian Clinical Counsellors’ Association, 2011)
- Toronto Police Service 13 Division Community Service Award (Government of Ontario, 2008)
- Urban Leadership Award (Canadian Urban Institute, 2006)