Intercultural Dialogue Institute (IDI) Toronto is a non-profit organization whose primary goal is to help bring together the communities in order to promote compassion, cooperation, partnership and community service through dialogue and friendship.
In congruence with its mission, IDI Toronto organizes Annual Dialogue & Friendship Dinners. Since 2004, each of these dinners has received many attendees from all walks of life; including government representatives, MPs and MPPs, diplomats, bureaucrats, business people, representatives from media and academia, as well as religious and community leaders. These dinners have become a sign of support to the message of peace and tolerance that IDI Toronto aims to spread through its activities.
On January 12th, 2012, IDI Toronto will have its 7th Annual Dialogue & Friendship Dinner which will be dedicated to the significance of neighbourly values in a multicultural society. Two invited speakers for the night are Dr. Mamdouh Shoukri (President of York University) and Dr. Usha George, (Dean of Community Services at Ryerson University). The event will take place at the Royal York Fairmont (Imperial Room) between 6.30pm and 9.30pm. Robert Fisher, CBC Radio Journalist, will be the MC of the night.
Hosting Committee for the dinner comprises of the following people:
– Joe Daniel, MP for Don Valley East
– Judy Sgro, MP for York West
– Cheri DiNovo, MPP for Parkdale-High Park
– Joe Mihevic, City Councillor for St. Paul’s West
– William Blair, Chief of Toronto Police Service
– Gary Polonsky, Chair of Canada Science & Technology Museum Board of Trustees
– David Rivard, Chief Executive Officer of Children’s Aid Society of Toronto
– Paul Gooch, President of Victoria University in the University of Toronto
– Abdul Hai Patel, President of Ontario Multifaith Council
– Damian MacPherson, Director, Ecumenical & Interfaith Affairs, Archdiocese of Toronto
– Armand La Barge, Retired Chief of Police, York Region
– Karen Hamilton, Minister, United Church of Canada