ANNUAL DIALOGUE & FRIENDSHIP DINNER 2012 (Jan 12th, 6:30pm, Royal York Fairmont, Imperial Room)
Intercultural Dialogue Institute (IDI) Toronto is a non-profit organization whose primary goal is to help bring together the communities in order to promote compassion, cooperation, partnership and community service through dialogue and friendship. In congruence with its mission, IDI Toronto organizes Annual Dialogue & Friendship Dinners. Since 2004, each of these dinners has received many attendees from all walks of life; including government representatives, MPs and MPPs, diplomats, bureaucrats, business people, representatives from media and academia, as well as religious and community leaders. These dinners have become a sign of support to the message of peace and tolerance that IDI Toronto aims to spread through its activities.
On January 12th, 2012, IDI Toronto will have its 7th Annual Dialogue & Friendship Dinner which will be dedicated to the significance of neighbourly values in a multicultural society. Two invited speakers for the night are Dr. Mamdouh Shoukri (President of York University) and Dr. Usha George, (Dean of Community Services at Ryerson University). The event will take place at the Royal York Fairmont (Imperial Room) between 6.30pm and 9.30pm. Robert Fisher, CBC Radio Journalist, will be the MC of the night.
IDI Toronto will also give “Excellence in Community Service” Awards to the following individuals/institutions at the dinner:
– Matt Galloway, CBC Radio, Metro Morning Host
For becoming a voice for the voiceless communities, and for providing publicity for important community projects in the GTA as the host of Metro Morning of CBC Radio.
– Toronto Community Foundation (TCF), Rahul K. Bhardwaj (President & CEO) will receive the award on behalf of TCF.
For TCF’s several projects aiming at strengthening communities such as the “Recipe for Community” project.
Among many distinguished guests who will honour the dinner, some are:
– MP Corneliu Chisu
– MP Mark Adler
– Hon. Charles Sousa (Ontario Minister of Immigration and Citizenship)
– Hon. Kathleen Wynne (Ontario Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing)
– Hon. Margarett Best (Ontario Minister of Consumer Services)
– MPP Cheri DiNovo
– MPP Christine Elliott
– Councillor Joe Mihevc
– Councillor James Pasternak
– Bill Fisch, Chairman & CEO, York Region
– Eric Joliffe, Chief of York Regional Police
– Gary Cubitt, Chief Administrative Officer, Durham Region
– Colin Johnson, Archbishop of Toronto, Anglican Church
– Paul Raftis, Chief of Toronto EMS
– Peter Sloly, Deputy Chief, Toronto Police Services
– Daryl Fuglerud, deputy chief of Toronto Fire
– Debbie Higgins, deputy chief of Toronto Fire
– Dave Ryan, Mayor of Pickering ON
– Geoffrey Dawe, Mayor of Aurora ON
Hosting Committee for the dinner comprises of the following people:
– Joe Daniel, MP for Don Valley East
– Judy Sgro, MP for York West
– Cheri DiNovo, MPP for Parkdale-High Park
– Joe Mihevic, City Councillor for St. Paul’s West
– William Blair, Chief of Toronto Police Service
– Gary Polonsky, Chair of Canada Science & Technology Museum Board of Trustees
– David Rivard, Chief Executive Officer of Children’s Aid Society of Toronto
– Paul Gooch, President of Victoria University in the University of Toronto
– Abdul Hai Patel, President of Ontario Multifaith Council
– Damian MacPherson, Director, Ecumenical & Interfaith Affairs, Archdiocese of Toronto
– Armand La Barge, Retired Chief of Police, York Region
– Karen Hamilton, Minister, United Church of Canada